School Closings & Weather Delays
In the event of a delayed start or cancellation, students and parents may rely on these methods of notification:
- By checking Sem’s homepage at www.wyomingseminary.org where they will see school delay information on the home page.
- By signing up for text or email emergency messages in My Sem.
- By calling the main school telephone number (570) 270-2100 and listening to a recorded message.
School delay information should be announced on local radio and television stations no later than 6:45 a.m. (and often by 6:30 a.m.), but the website should be considered the earliest and most reliable source of information.
• In the event of a delay, classes will begin at 9:00 a.m. or 10:00 a.m. The schedule will be listed on the website for the Upper School. Given the challenges posed by inclement weather conditions, students are permitted to dress in a manner appropriate for the weather. Regardless of the weather, a student’s dress should be seasonably appropriate, suitable for school and in good taste.
• On a day when school has been cancelled, boarding students are not permitted to ride in non-school vehicles without permission from a Class Dean, the Director of Residential Life, or the Dean of the Upper School.
• If inclement weather develops during the day, a schedule change and new bus departure times will be announced to the students, posted on the school website and sent out as a text message. Upper School students who will be departing early by bus must sign out in their Class Dean’s office. No other day student may leave campus without signing out and confirming that a parent has contacted his/her Class Dean or administrative assistant. The school is responsible for students during the day and must be kept informed.
• Notification of delays and closings will be conveyed contingent upon the Dean of Upper School’s decision. If a majority of businesses and offices in the Wyoming Valley are functioning, then we will be open either at the regular time or with a delay. Weather conditions can vary widely, even wildly, within 25 miles of the campus, and parents must make a personal decision about safety based upon their own local conditions.
• On days when the majority of local school districts are closed, but Wyoming Seminary is open, teachers will be sensitive in terms of testing and teaching new material. No day student will suffer academic penalty for missing class due to weather conditions as long as parents have notified the Dean’s office of the absence.
• Because Lower School students are far more dependent on local public school bus transportation, there may be times when the Lower School will be closed while the Upper School remains open. Please check the Lower School weather delay page for more information.