Lower School Graduation
Lower School Graduation will take place on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 and will follow the schedule below.
In the evening, a dinner dance honoring the graduates and their parents will be held at the Westmoreland Club beginning at 6:00 p.m. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate siblings and each student must be accompanied by at least one parent. This is a formal event and graduates should wear the same clothes they wore to the morning ceremony. Formal invitations with menu choices will be sent to graduates and their parents in late April.
• 9:00 a.m. Students arrive promptly at WSLS; meet in Sordoni Library
• 9:30 a.m. Class photo will be taken in front* of school building
• 10:00 a.m. Ceremony begins in Amato Auditorium
• 11:30 a.m. (approximately) Punch and cookies on the front lawn
• 11:30 a.m. Alumni and awards photos will be taken on the front lawn
• 6:00 p.m. Evening party begins at the Westmoreland Club in Wilkes-Barre
• Rain information: The class photo will be taken in the Amato Auditorium at 9:30. Punch and cookies will be served in the gym after the ceremony.
• White or white-on-white dress
• Below-the-knee to tea-length dress
• Spaghetti straps are ok
• Modest necklines
• Appropriately-styled skirts
• White shoes or sandals - must be flats
• No color trim
• No floor length
• No strapless styles
• No backless styles
• No excessive underskirting
• No high heels
• No backless shoes or mules
• Navy blazer or sport coat
• White dress shirt
• Wyoming Seminary necktie.
• Gray slacks
• Dark socks
• Dress Shoes
• Ties may be purchased in the Lower School office. You will receive an email when the ties become available.
A class photograph will be taken prior to the ceremony at the front entrance of the school (weather permitting). The group photograph of the entire class along with an engraved frame is provided as a gift to all graduates from the Wyoming Seminary Lower School Parents Association. Please remember to take your gift bag home from the afternoon reception. Please arrive promptly at 9:00 a.m. for this photograph.
During the ceremony, Andy Molitoris of Photography by Andy will take individual photographs of each student receiving his or her diploma.
Directly after the ceremony, a special alumni photo will be taken of all graduates whose parents or grandparents are alumni of the Upper or Lower Schools. Also, all award winners should report for a group photo immediately following the ceremony.
Andy Molotoris will also join us at the dinner dance taking photos of family and graduates. You may purchase the photos directly from Andy that evening.
Each family will be notified via email when the photos are available to be viewed on Andy's website: www.photo-by-Andy.com. All photos may be purchased directly from Andy's online store.
The entire graduation ceremony will be filmed and available for purchase on DVD. A preorder form will be mailed to you with all the necessary information to order the DVD. The DVD will be mailed directly to you at a later date.
STUDENT GRADUATION SPEAKER
Eighth-grade students choose one of their classmates to speak for them on graduation day. The choice of student must also be approved by the eighth-grade team, coordinator and dean.
STUDENT GRADUATION AWARDS
The middle-school teachers nominate and vote for students to receive various prestigious and time-honored awards.
To be eligible for the honor of being graduation speaker or to be considered for any of the graduation awards:
• the student must have at least a C (5.0) average;
• the student may not have earned more than three detentions or a suspension during his/her eighth-grade year;
• the student’s school citizenship may be considered.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Lower School at 570-718-6601.