Sem Field Hockey Team Wins State Championship!
Blue Knights defeat Crestwood 2-1
Congratulations to Coach Karen Klassner and the members of the field hockey team who defeated Crestwood 2 -1 on Saturday, November 17 scoring the winning goal with three minutes left in the game in a thrilling contest in Whitehall to win the PIAA Class AA state championship. The Blue Knights concluded the season with an overall record of 18 – 6 -1 defeating a Crestwood team that had beaten them twice already this season, and had a record of 24 -0 this year and had not lost a game since September 19, 2012.
With this victory Sem has now won the state title three out of the last four years and four out of the last six years while winning 21 of their last 22 state playoff games. Karen Klassner’s teams have won six state titles and her overall coaching record is 599 – 150 – 45. Anyone wishing to send a message to the team or Coach Klassner can do so at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please click on the links below to see photos, video and news that capture the excitement of the day for all involved!
Watch the slideshow:
View the photos and videos from the game:
Read the stories in the local news:
About the Program...
The Wyoming Seminary girls field hockey program is steeped in tradition. Field hockey has been part of the Wyoming Seminary athletic program since the early 1920s. In fact, Sem was a pioneer, introducing field hockey to the greater Scranton and Wilkes-Barre areas. Wyoming Seminary is proud of the tradition created by past teams and has tried to uphold the high standards set by past alumnae.
- 17 undefeated seasons
- 6-time district champions (joined PIAA in 1986)
- 7 appearances in state championship games
- 5 AA state championships
- 9 appearances in state semifinals
- 25 appearances in district playoffs
Team Accomplishments Last Seven Years…
- 2001 state champion and district champion
- 2002 division champions, district champions, state semifinals
- 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010,2011,2012 district playoffs
- 2004 district finals and state championship finalist
- 2005 division and district champions, reached state semifinals
- 2006 division champions, district champions, and AA state champions
- 2008 undefeated division champions, district champions, & AA state champions
- 2009 undefeated division champions
- 2010 undefeated division champions and AA state champions
- 2011 district champions and AA state champions
- 2001-2012 record: 246-30-6
Individual Accomplishments Last Five Years:
- 12 First Team All-Americans
- 1 Second Team All-American
- 60 First Team All-State
- 29 Second Team All-State
- 12 Player of the Year awards (local newspapers)
Current National Team Players:
- 2 players on the women’s USA National Team
- 2 players on the women's USA Developmental Squad
- 2 players on U21 women's national team
- 1 player on men's U18/U21 national team
FIELD HOCKEY NOTES
A loyal fan of Wyoming Seminary field hockey stated with great certainty that there are only two seasons: Field Hockey and the Void. Wyoming Seminary introduced field hockey to Northeastern Pennsylvania in 1919, and we continue to compete in a league that is as competitive as any in the nation. Our athletes have received an outstanding education at Wyoming Seminary and many have gone on to successful college field hockey careers. The Wyoming Seminary field hockey program enjoys being involved with the following organizations:
United States Field Hockey Association
National Field Hockey Coaches Association
Field Hockey Tournaments Home Page
Field Hockey Canada - Hockey sur gazon Canada
International Field Hockey
Pennsylvania High School Field Hockey Coaches Association
All home games played at Klassner Field.
Click here to view Klassner Field Rules.