- Baccalaureate and Commencement Tickets
- Information for Parents
- Dress Code
- Directions and Parking
- Graduation Announcements
PLEASE NOTE: Orders for Baccalaureate, Board of Trustees Smorgasbord Dinner and Commencement tickets will be taken beginning April 15, and you will receive an email with ordering information.
To order your tickets for Baccalaureate, Board of Trustees Smorgasbord Dinner and Commencement, please fill out this form.
THURSDAY, MAY 14, 2020
• 6:30 p.m. Alumni Association Senior Dinner (students only) at the President’s house and Fleck Hall
SATURDAY, MAY 23, 2020
• 4:30 p.m. Graduates gather at the Bell Tower for Baccalaureate.
• 5:00 p.m. Baccalaureate Service
SUNDAY, MAY 24, 2020
• 12:15 p.m. Class photo on Bell Tower steps. Following the photo: graduates remain assembled at the Bell Tower for Commencement. In case of rain, graduates will gather in the multi-purpose room of the Pettebone-Dickson Student Center.
• 1:00 p.m. Commencement, Back Campus (the field across from the Carpenter Athletic Center on North Maple Avenue). In case of rain, Commencement will be held in the Carpenter Athletic Center.
• Immediately following Commencement: Farewell Punch Bowl under the tent. Photographs of all Commencement Award winners will be taken at the Commencement stage.
The Commencement Weekend schedule begins on Saturday, May 23, with the Baccalaureate, a dignified service of worship for the graduates, faculty, trustees, and families associated with this year's class. The service begins with a stately processional at 5:00 p.m. from the Bell Tower to Baccalaureate. Following the recessional, you are invited to our annual smorgasbord, sponsored by the Board of Trustees, held on Back Campus.
Since 1999 Wyoming Seminary has held its Commencement ceremony outside on the Back Campus lawn. This affords us maximum seating and adds to the beauty of the event. When the weather doesn't cooperate, Commencement is held in the Carpenter Athletic Center on campus. Whether indoors or out, Commencement will be held on Sunday, May 24, will begin promptly at 1:00 p.m. and will conclude by 3:00 p.m.
A more detailed list of events will be coming from the President's Office in mid-April. Included in April's letter will be a link to order Baccalaureate, Commencement, and Smorgasbord tickets. Please begin to give some thought to how many tickets you will require for each event. Based on preliminary information, we foresee the following restrictions: four tickets for Baccalaureate, the same for Smorgasbord, and 10 tickets for Commencement. The link to order tickets will not be sent to you until mid-April.
To commemorate this special occasion, Wyoming Seminary offers graduation announcements for purchase. For more information about this service please view our order form found below on this page. Please place your order for graduation announcements no later than March 27.
Your graduate is required to adhere to the following Baccalaureate and Commencement dress code guidelines:
Baccalaureate – Two options:
1) Jacket and tie, dress shirt, dress slacks, dress socks and dress shoes (no sandals, Docksiders boat shoes or boots), or
2) Spring dress or dressy skirt and blouse (knee-length or longer preferred) and dress shoes. Bare backs, spaghetti straps, skirts with excessive slits or jean jackets are not acceptable.
Commencement – Two options:
1) Navy blue blazer, white dress shirt, school tie (sold in the campus store), grey dress slacks, dress socks and dress shoes (no sandals, Docksiders boat shoes or boots), or
2) Traditional knee length or longer, all-white dress (no accent colors), dress white shoes or sandals. Bare backs, spaghetti straps, skirts with excessive slits or pants suits are not acceptable.
Dress code guidelines are given so that the traditional spirit and decorum of the occasion can be maintained. Please help us ensure that your graduate is permitted to march in the processions by seeing that they come dressed properly. We hope you will ask for clarification by contacting your Class Dean or Commencement Coordinator well in advance of Commencement weekend.
We look forward to seeing you and sharing in this very important weekend in the life of your family and our school. Please feel free to contact me at the school with any questions you have about our 2020 Commencement weekend.
For those of you traveling, we would suggest you explore lodging soon to ensure availability.
Mary G. Swaback
Graduates are required to adhere to the Baccalaureate and Commencement dress code guidelines below. Guidelines are given so that the traditional spirit and decorum of the occasion can be maintained. Please help us ensure that your student is permitted to march in the processions by seeing that they come dressed properly. Contact Dean of Upper School Tom Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about dress requirements.
Baccalaureate - Two Options
1) Jacket and tie, dress shirt, dress slacks, dress socks and dress shoes (no sandals, Docksiders (boat shoes) or boots), or
2) Spring dress or dressy skirt and blouse (knee length or longer preferred), and dress shoes. Bare backs, spaghetti straps, skirts with excessive slits or jean jackets are not acceptable.
Commencement - Two Options
1) Navy blue blazer, white dress shirt, school tie (available in campus bookstore), grey dress slacks, dress socks and dress shoes (no sandals, Docksiders (boat shoes) or boots) or
2) Traditional knee-length or longer, all-white dress (no accent colors), dress white shoes or sandals. Bare backs, spaghetti straps, skirts with excessive slits or pant suits are not acceptable.
SATURDAY, MAY 23, 2020
Directly after the Baccalaureate ceremony, a group photo of all Sem alumni parents and grandparents will be taken with their graduating senior on the Bell Tower steps. A separate letter will be sent with instructions.
SUNDAY, MAY 24, 2020
There will be a class photo taken at the Bell Tower promptly at 12:15 p.m. Please make sure your graduate is at the Bell Tower at this time and that he or she is dressed in the proper attire.
During the Commencement ceremony, our official event photographer will take individual photos of each student receiving a diploma. After Commencement, you'll receive an email with a link to the photographer's website and ordering information.
UPPER SCHOOL INFORMATION
Address: 201 N. Sprague Avenue, Kingston, PA 18704
|Campus map and parking||Local lodging|
Wyoming Seminary is easily accessible from any direction by car, bus or plane. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport at Avoca is the nearest airport. Martz Trailways provides express coach service from Philadelphia and New York. Taxi service is available between the Wilkes-Barre terminal and the campus.
From Interstate 80
Take Exit 284. Follow 115 North approximately 24 miles. Near Wilkes-Barre, 115 North becomes 309 North. Take Exit 4 off 309.
From Interstate 81
Take Exit 170B. Follow 115 North which will become 309 North. Take Exit 4 off 309.
From Route 476
Take Exit 105. Follow 115 North until it becomes 309 North. Take Exit 4 off 309.
From Exit 4 off 309
Having taken Exit 4 marked "Kingston/Forty Fort," stay in the left lane of the ramp and at the traffic light turn left onto Rutter Avenue. Continue on Rutter to the second traffic light (Pierce Street). Turn right onto Pierce and drive two blocks to the intersection of Pierce Street with Route 11 (also known as Wyoming Avenue). Turn left (south) on Route11. Make the third right turn onto Market Street and then immediately turn left onto South Sprague Avenue. There are two parking lots on the left side of South Sprague Avenue.
Congratulations on your student's academic achievement! For your convenience, Wyoming Seminary can provide graduation announcements to commemorate this event.
Orders must be placed online by completing the form below by June 15. Announcements will arrive in late June-early July. If you have questions, please e-mail Mrs. Gail Smallwood at email@example.com.
Pricing (includes envelopes):
20 announcements: $35.00
40 announcements: $55.00
100 announcements: $85.00
You will be notified via email when your announcements have been delivered, and your announcements will be shipped to you.