"One of the most worthwhile things I have ever done to work on my talents. I hope that I've added to the musical and caring atmosphere as much as I've taken from it."Mary Rose Luksha, Musical Theater student
July 7 - August 4, 2019
Day and boarding options, ages 12-18
Our 2019 summer musical will be the American classic from Stephen Schwartz...Pippin!
Applications are open—apply today!
Pennsylvania native Jeremiah Downes is our director of the summer Creative Arts Theater Program!
Jeremiah is Assistant Professor of Theatre and Head of Voice for Musical Theatre at Western Michigan University. Prior to his transition into teaching full time, he spent almost two decades as a successful singing actor in Philadelphia and New York City, appearing in leading roles and in world premieres with some of Broadway's finest. A sought-after teacher, master class clinician and coach, he continues to maintain a studio in New York City and Philadelphia.
His clients have found success on Broadway, in film and on television, in opera houses and in recording studios.
Students will discover acting, dance, and vocal skills, along with stage presence and performance coaching.
Courses include a unique growth opportunity through three different tracks: acting/directing, musical theater, and design/technology.
Our comprehensive program allows students to develop stage skills while working as a collaborative ensemble.
Creative development flourishes by working side-by-side with established professionals and guest artists.
This program offers students the ability to study theater arts for a total of four weeks with a final performance at the session end.
- A robust and re-imagined offering of coursework, training and master classes focused on the art and craft of theater, performance technique, industry practices, and auditioning.
- An impressive roster of Broadway caliber and industry professional guest artists, working closely with students both in master class experiences and performance.
- The opportunity to learn, create and perform in the state-of-the-art Kirby Center for the Arts. This state of the art facility includes professional-level practice rooms, classrooms and dance studio, in addition to a 600-seat theater with the finest in lighting, sound and acoustics.
- All participants will take an active role in the creation of an original theatrical performance, integrating new work, classic and seminal theater masterpieces, collaborating with faculty and guest artists and performing on stage in a fully realized performance where every student has the chance to shine.
- Intensive, and thrilling, training in acting, voice, movement and the integration of the various theatrical disciplines.
- A safe, supportive and creative atmosphere where students feel empowered to investigate, create, and express themselves through theater.
Participants in the theater program at Summer at Sem Creative Arts will pursue their artistic passions, build friendships and foster professional connections that will last a lifetime. Alumni of our program have gone on to study at some of the nation’s finest theater training programs, many enjoy successful careers in a variety of avenues within the world of the professional theater, and time and again express how profoundly our program “changed their life.”
- Ryan Scott Oliver - Artist in Residence
- Nicole Van Giesen - Artist in Residence
- Billy Bustamante - Artist in Residence
- Spencer Hansen - Faculty
Oliver was called “the future of Broadway… a major new voice in musical theatre” (Entertainment Weekly) and is “shaking up musical theater with his dark, twisted and genius work … [Oliver] could very well be musical theater’s answer to an auteur filmmaker or a gothic novelist” (Huffington Post). He is the winner of a Larson Grant, Rodgers Award, New Musicals Awards from Weston Playhouse, Pace University, and the recipient of a Lortel Award Nomination as well as numerous fellowships, residencies and ASCAP awards. He wrote the music and lyrics for Jasper in Deadland (off Broadway; the 5th Avenue Theatre), 35mm: A Musical Exhibition; Darling; Mrs. Sharp; Otherbody, a brief musical allegory, and more. He is currently at work on ¡Havana! directed by Warren Carlyle, and his “Dogs Trilogy” of original musical commissions: We Foxes, Rope and Three Points of Contact.
Van Giesen is currently in the Tony winning smash "Dear Evan Hansen" on Broadway at the Music Box as a standby for the roles of Heidi and Cynthia. Before DEH,
Nicole was seen onstage as a stand by for adult Alison and Helen in the Tony winning Broadway production of "Fun Home" the Musical at Circle in the Square.
Bustamante is a New York City based performer, director/choreographer, and photographer. He studied musical theater at Philadelphia's University of the Arts. He recently closed out "Miss Saigon" on Broadway as the understudy for the Engineer, has performed on Broadway in "The King and I" revival, the recent concert reunion of "Thoroughly Modern Millie", off Broadway at The Public Theatre, and will be in a Broadway bound musical this spring!
Hansen is a New York City-based actor and graduate of Texas State University. He has worked with an impressive roster of talents, including Paige Price, Larry Grossman, Adam Cates, Andrew Lippa, Laurence O’Keefe, Nell Benjamin, Michael Balderrama, The Neofututists, just to name a few. Most recently, he was seen as Schroeder, and a music director for the national tour of “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”
Day students: $950 per 2-week session
Boarding students: $2500 per 2-week session
Summer at Sem
201 North Sprague Avenue
Kingston, PA 18704-3593 U.S.A.