"One of the most worthwhile things I have ever done to work on my talents. I hope that I've added to the musical and caring atmosphere as much as I've taken from it."Mary Rose Luksha, Musical Theater student
July 7 - August 4, 2019
Day and boarding options, ages 12-18
Our 2019 summer musical will be the American classic from Stephen Schwartz...PIPPIN!
Pennsylvania native Jeremiah Downes is our director of the summer Creative Arts Theater Program!
Jeremiah is Assistant Professor of Theatre and Head of Voice for Musical Theatre at Western Michigan University. Prior to his transition into teaching full time, he spent almost two decades as a successful singing actor in Philadelphia and New York City, appearing in leading roles and in world premieres with some of Broadway's finest. A sought-after teacher, master class clinician and coach, he continues to maintain a studio in New York City and Philadelphia.
His clients have found success on Broadway, in film and on television, in opera houses and in recording studios.
Students will discover acting, dance, and vocal skills, along with stage presence and performance coaching.
Courses include a unique growth opportunity through three different tracks: acting/directing, musical theater, and design/technology.
Our comprehensive program allows students to develop stage skills while working as a collaborative ensemble.
Creative development flourishes by working side-by-side with established professionals and guest artists.
This program offers students the ability to study theater arts for a total of four weeks with a final performance at the session end.
- A robust and re-imagined offering of coursework, training and master classes focused on the art and craft of theater, performance technique, industry practices, and auditioning.
- An impressive roster of Broadway caliber and industry professional guest artists, working closely with students both in master class experiences and performance.
- The opportunity to learn, create and perform in the state-of-the-art Kirby Center for the Arts. This state of the art facility includes professional-level practice rooms, classrooms and dance studio, in addition to a 600-seat theater with the finest in lighting, sound and acoustics.
- All participants will take an active role in the creation of an original theatrical performance, integrating new work, classic and seminal theater masterpieces, collaborating with faculty and guest artists and performing on stage in a fully realized performance where every student has the chance to shine.
- Intensive, and thrilling, training in acting, voice, movement and the integration of the various theatrical disciplines.
- A safe, supportive and creative atmosphere where students feel empowered to investigate, create, and express themselves through theater.
Participants in the theater program at Summer at Sem Creative Arts will pursue their artistic passions, build friendships and foster professional connections that will last a lifetime. Alumni of our program have gone on to study at some of the nation’s finest theater training programs, many enjoy successful careers in a variety of avenues within the world of the professional theater, and time and again express how profoundly our program “changed their life.”
- Madge Dietrich — Artist in Residence
- Charlie Gilbert — Artist in Residence
- D'Arcy Webb — Artist in Residence
- Spencer Hansen - Faculty
Madge Dietrich is a NYC based actress and singer, she most recently completed the First Broadway National Tour of Kinky Boots in the role of Pat. Her other credits include the regional premiere of Sister Act at Ogunquit Playhouse, A Christmas Story, Elf, and The Sound of Music at Paper Mill Playhouse, among many others.
She’s a powerhouse vocalist who’s appeared at clubs and venues all over NYC, and is a frequent soloist at Middle Collegiate Church in the East Village. She is a graduate of Oklahoma City University.
Madge recently performed with our Director of Theatre, Jeremiah Downes at Farmers Alley Theatre in Michigan, in a new evening of his original songwriting. A live album of that performance will be available this spring. For more, www.madgedietrich.com.
Charlie, the "SAVI Savant," is creator of The SAVI System of Singing-Acting. For nearly forty years, he has been training young artists for work in the professional musical theater and creating provocative original work for the musical stage (Gemini, the Musical, Leading Lady, A Tiny Miracle, Watch the Birdie, 1979 musical Assassins, source of the idea for Stephen Sondheim's Tony Award-winning musical of the same name, among many others). A Professor of Theater Arts at The University of the Arts in Philadelphia, Charlie headed their Musical Theater Program from its inception in 1990 until 2008 and served from 2008 to 2013 as Director of the Ira Brind School of Theater Arts. He is a founding member and a Past President of the Musical Theater Educators Alliance, an international organization of musical theater training programs all over the world, and he's taught workshops and master classes in America, the UK, Europe and Australia.
D'Arcy Webb, Managing Director of SAVI Singing Actor, has been coaching actors, cabaret artists, musical theatre performers and public speakers for over 20 years, helping them connect to their audiences with power, eloquence and heart. On the faculty of the Brind School of Theatre Arts at the University of the Arts, she was recently designated the recipient of the President’s Award for Distinguished Teaching. She is the creator of the wacky online series, "Tuesday Morning Two-Minute Tune-ups for your Tongue with the Speech Diva." darcywebb.com facebook.com/thespeechdiva
Spencer Hansen is a New York City-based actor and graduate of Texas State University. He has worked with an impressive roster of talents, including Paige Price, Larry Grossman, Adam Cates, Andrew Lippa, Laurence O’Keefe, Nell Benjamin, Michael Balderrama, The Neofututists, just to name a few.
Spencer is so excited to be rejoining this inspiration group of artists again this year. In the time he spent away, he has been a Music Director for The Book of Merman Off-Broadway, and has been a professional accompanist and teaching assistant for acting schools, vocal studios, and training programs around New York. He has spent all year looking forward to Summer at Sem, and he is thrilled to have the chance to return and create more magic.
Day students: $950 per 2-week session
Boarding students: $2500 per 2-week session
- Applicants should submit an audition which includes a monologue from an American copyrighted play/theater piece not exceeding one minute and a musical excerpt from a Broadway show not exceeding two minutes, with accompaniment.
- In addition to an audition, theater applicants must also submit a completed online application.
- Use the best available visual and audio devices possible. Film as if at a live audition.
- At the beginning of your audition:
- State your name, age, and place of residence (US state or country if international)
- State the name of
- At the conclusion of your audition:
- State "I have reached the end of my audition" and repeat your full name.
- Naming your Audition:
- [Program] Audition: Full Name, Date
- Theater Audition: Taylor Smith, 01/02/2019
Submitting your Audition:
- Videos can be submitted as a direct URL or an unlisted Youtube video to: email@example.com.
- Information on creating an unlisted YouTube video, as well as audition information for all of our programs, can be found here.
Wyoming Seminary—Summer at Sem
201 North Sprague Avenue
Kingston, PA 18704-3593 U.S.A.