English Language Institute
The English Language Institute (ELI) is a 4-week summer immersion camp for international boarding students ages 12-18 who want to learn English in the United States.
Summer at Sem and the English Language Institute are part of Wyoming Seminary, an internationally-recognized college preparatory school based in northeastern Pennsylvania. Sem is a worldwide leader in teaching language and American culture with a rich history in accelerated summer programs full of fun, new friends, and ever-lasting memories.
4-Week English Language Institute
July 13—August 11, 2019
The English Language Institute offers two different concentrations during the 4-week session: Language and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) or Language and Culture. Tuition for the 4-week session is $7,000 and includes room and board, meals, and weekend trips.
Experiential Travel Session
August 11—18, 2019
Extend your stay with our experiential travel session. Students will depart from Wyoming Seminary and travel throughout the northeastern United States with instructors and friends for a week of travel, excitement, and more. Visit American colleges and universities, sight-see more of the United States' most popular cities, and enjoy the final days of summer with your new friends. Cost of the Experiential Travel Program is $3,200.
Additional fees for health insurance, linens, and ground transportation will be added to student accounts upon enrollment.
IS SUMMER AT SEM RIGHT FOR YOU?
The English Language Institute is open to international students ages 12-18.
Wyoming Seminary’s academic tradition is demanding and intense. The most successful students at Summer at Sem’s ELI program are:
• ready for immersion in American culture
• mature enough to endure the challenges of culture shock
• committed to learning English
• interested in making friends from around the world
For admission to Summer at Sem, an ELI student’s English language proficiency must match one of the two descriptions below:
• Beginning and intermediate students should recognize and use basic vocabulary in English. They should have the ability to comprehend basic instruction, read routine directional signs, and understand the rules of community life. All students, including Beginner-level students, should have at least some type of formal English instruction. (Note: Most students have been studying English for at least three years, though this is not required.)
• Advanced students are those who discuss, in English, everyday issues with relative fluency and ease. They can read and write both technical and non-technical material and have a strong foundation in speaking and listening comprehension.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
In reviewing the qualifications of all applicants, the Admission Committee evaluates the candidate’s scholastic background, habits of study, adaptability, character, intellectual skills and motivation. Not only does the committee want to be sure that Summer at Sem can serve the student, but also that the student can contribute positively to the school community.
Candidates for the English Language Institute must complete an online application and submit a school transcript along with a classroom teacher recommendation (see: the Applied Students tab). Applicants must be between the ages of 12-18 to be considered for admission.
When all of the required application materials are received, the Selection Committee reviews applications and communicates acceptance or denial to the candidate. A decision will be made within the two weeks following the completion of all application materials.
Wyoming Seminary maintains an open admission policy. Any student, regardless of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, may apply for admission to the school. This policy embodies Wyoming Seminary’s commitment to enriching students’ experience by living in a multicultural school community.
This section outlines the steps needed to complete your application to the English Language Institute. A completed application consists of:
- The online application
- A $125 application fee for international students
- One classroom teacher recommendation, preferably from a current English teacher
- A copy of the student's most recent transcripts
- A copy of the student's valid passport
Note: Transcripts and passport copies should be sent to the Summer Programs office at email@example.com or faxed to +1 570-270-2198
After your application is complete, the Summer Programs Office will be in touch with an admissions decision and the next steps regarding enrollment and travel plans.
Additional questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel Plans: All boarding students are required to fill out the following Travel Forms prior to their arrival on campus.
Please contact Melinda Holena, our Summer Travel Coordinator, with any questions. (+1 570.270.2187)
Student Handbook: Please review the summer student handbook carefully with your families prior to arrival on campus. Included are important rules and information about life on our Wyoming Seminary campus. (Download PDF)
Please contact Ray Orio, our Summer Director of Residential Life with any questions (+1 570.270.2304)
Wyoming Seminary—Summer at Sem
201 North Sprague Avenue
Kingston, PA 18704-3593 U.S.A.